Strawberry cake--> pink--> Valentine's Day!--> hearts! --> chocolates!--> OH MY GOD. CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES!
Adapted to cupcakes from Cook Like a Champion
Makes about 24 cupcakes
For the strawberry purée:
- 24 ounces frozen strawberries, thawed
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup strawberry purée, room temperature
- 1/4 cup milk, at room temperature
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
For the Ganache:
•4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped (I just used chips, unchopped. Mini chips would be even better)
•1/2 C heavy cream
•2 Tbsp light corn syrup
To make the ganache, put the chocolate in a small mixing bowl. Combine the cream and the corn syrup in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour over the chocolate right away, and stir slowly until all of the chocolate melts and the ganache is silky and shiny. (It takes a while! Be patient and keep stirring, it will get there!).
Dip the top of each cupcake in the ganache, tapping gently to remove the excess. Return the cupcakes to the wire rack to let the glaze set up, at least 30 minutes.
The cupcakes can be kept in an airtight container in the refridgerator for up to 3 days.
The finished product got the hubby seal of approval, so you KNOW they're good!